Thursday, 27 September 2007

Controversy over separation? Government deadlocked? Transfer payment controversy?

So did I actually leave Canada, or did I have one too many Stellas while watching the Departed on DVD and fall into a drunken dream that I'd moved to Belgium?

The recent Globe and Mail article my dad sent me, explaining the sharp political and linguistic divide in Belgium was interesting, given our history of national unity crises in Canada... my comments on the Globe article can be found here along with the original article. Maggie has already written a blog entry that provides a little history of the conflict, and her perspective on the situation. I knew there were more things in common between Canada and Belgium than a fondness for beer and frites, but this is taking things to the next level...

I'm not making this a long entry; I've got to get to bed early, get a good night's sleep, and get up early before my first audition tomorrow in Antwerp (coincidentally, a hotbed of anti-Walloon political organizations, if The Bulletin is to be believed). I'll have lots to tell after our trip. Maggie's going with me after we've dropped off the kids; hopefully I can steer her away from the diamond merchants!

Bon soir!

No comments: