Wednesday, 31 October 2007

Mozart Requiem; auditions; packing my bag

Last night I went to the concert hall at the BOZAR, to see the chorus and orchestra of the Théâtre royal de la monnaie perform the Mozart Requiem. I had a chance to meet the chorus master, and discuss scheduling an audition, which won't happen until I get back from Canada, in the second half of November. He indicated that there will be general auditions later on in the year, but that he'd be happy to hear me sooner, and that there might be some positions opening up. Based on the strong male presence in the chorus that I heard last night, it sounds like it would be a good gig to start in. It's close to home, and a prestigious house that attracts world-class conductors, directors, and soloists; Jennifer Larmore was the contralto soloist last night, for example (she was really quite impressive).

I was really astonished at the duration of the audience reaction... I had no clue that they were going to be so appreciative before they started applauding, but they must have really enjoyed the concert, as the applause went on for a very long time. Five or six curtain calls, I believe. I don't remember hearing such sustained applause in a Canadian concert, ever. I get the sense that audiences really do like to show their appreciation here, much more so than in North America, where often it is either short, perfunctory applause, or everybody seems to give a stading ovation for every performance (which is almost worse, I think). This came across as a genuine and appropriate acknowledgement of the efforts of the performers.

While hanging about near the stage door waiting to meet the chorus master, I also recognized someone from his photograph in Opera magazine: it was Peter de Caluwe, the new intendant (General Director) of La Monnaie. I went up and introduced myself as a Canadian baritone newly arrived to live for the next several years in Brussels. He was very nice, and extremely gracious, and smiled when I told him that I was singing a Mozart Requiem myself in Canada in a week, and said "Well this was your dress rehearsal then!" I mentioned that I had spoken with the administrator at the theatre and hoped to sing for him sometime soon, he indicated that the best thing was to go through that channel to arrange something.

I haven't locked down any more auditions yet, but have some nibbles. So far here is the status:
  • Antwerp - Bart Van Rijn / Octopus Kammerchor Antwerp (completed in September)
  • Cologne - ZBF (upcoming Dec. 3rd)
  • Paris - agency audition (to be scheduled but the agency confirms they are interested in hearing me)
  • Brussels - European Union Choir (upcoming in January)
  • Brussels - La Monnaie chorus audition (upcoming late November)
  • Brussels - Idee Fixe opera (will miss general audition but director has asked me to call when I get back from Canada, will likely hear me late November)
So it's slow but steady.

Today I'm doing my packing up to get ready to leave... my plane flies out of Brussels at 7:10 tomorrow morning, so it'll be a very early wake-up for me! I expect to arrive in Canada at 14:30, so should be out of the airport by 15:30. If I feel up to it, I think I'll head down to Phil Kaegi's wine festival at the Ex, and taste a few French wines, and make some contacts to follow up on later. If I am too tired, then I'll just head straight to Bruces' house to crash and be done with it.

Next episode: back in Canada

No comments: