Saturday, 17 November 2007

Home again again

After a few days I am finally starting to feel like I'm living in this time zone again. I got back to Brussels on Wednesday mid-day, and it was a happy homecoming all around. Maggie and the boys had really been missing me, and I them. Ironically if things go the direction we're hoping there'll be lots more travelling, so we'll all have to get used to it.

The concerts went well; both conductors seemed pleased, and I greatly enjoyed performing both pieces. The Brahms has more of a baritone showcase than the Mozart, and is very dramatic, with sometimes dense orchestration, and some of the most incredible choral writing going. It's a real challenge keeping your composure in some of the choral sections, the music is so stirring and moving.

The Mozart is beautiful in another completely different way... his writing for ensemble singing is so transparent, it really is incredible to hear and to sing. Again, the choir gets the best bits. What a great privilege to help make this music come to life!

Family and friends were well represented in both concerts, so I felt very supported and encouraged, and was able to check in with a good many people I haven't seen since leaving for Europe. Unfortunately I didn't get the chance to visit with all the people I hoped to during my stay in Toronto... I had hoped to see a number of people on Monday, when my concerts were over, and I had a little time, but events conspired to eat up any time I could have had to visit. Our car decided to blow a timing belt enroute to Kingston, and the delays in getting it repaired meant that I didn't get back to Toronto until late on Tuesday morning, just in time to frantically get packed and get to the airport, with the help of my Mom and her car. You can't plan for everything!

Tonight is my European debut, in Antwerp with the Octopus Kammerchor, in Handel's Dixit Dominus. I rehearsed with the conductor last night, and we have another rehearsal in the early evening before the concert. I'm excited about singing for the first time in a European setting.

I'll let you know later how it goes.

No comments: