The culture is a strange mix of different things. I would say the biggest influence here is French culture, and the strong hedonistic streak that runs through the French is embraced heartily by the Belgians. The strong emphasis that they place on aesthetics, cuisine, fashion, wine, exercise, art, music, leisure and socializing - not just on special occasions, but every day - makes that clear.
Still, this isn't France by a long shot: it's important to recognize that the Flemish half to this country - less obvious to me living here in 95% francophone Brussels - is a strong and equivalent force in shaping the National culture. Then there is the German influence; it's the third "official language". It's quite a mélange... Belgium is unique.
They have a good sense of humour, too, and along with that built-in aesthetic sense, don't seem to have any obvious hang-ups about beauty, pleasure or sex, for example. The women take great care to present themselves with fancy hairstyles, makeup, jewelry, and wear elegant ensembles even when going grocery shopping that I rarely see in Toronto, except I suppose in very posh stores (which I couldn't afford to shop in). Some of the advertising posters that I see everywhere, on bus shelters and near supermarket entrances would likely cause an uproar in Canada, but they don't seem to generate a raised eyebrow here.
This one here, for example, is for a new comedy by a Belgian actor/director named Michaël Dufour entitled Faites l'amour avec un Belge (or "Make love with a Belgian), about a French woman and a Belgian man who form an unusual couple. He's my translation of the premise:
Elle aime le foot, la bière, le sexe et ne gifle pas le premier soir. Lui il aime la tendresse et le shopping, mais ce n’est pas le pire, il fait aussi l’amour!
"She likes football, beer, sex (even on a first date), and he likes tenderness and shopping; but this doesn't make a disaster, it also makes love!"

Now that's what I call Belgian multitasking. All he's missing is a Westmalle and some mayonnaise...
Ok, I'll stop right there. Somehow I'm hungry for frites all of a sudden...
No comments:
Post a Comment