Thursday, 11 March 2010

Sunny afternoon in Paris

My train was only slightly delayed this noontime, so I arrived in Paris by half-past-one, and was able to walk to meet Marc in a matter of a quarter-hour, following the rue de Lafayette straight down from the Gare du Nord. The weather is cool here but wonderfully sunny, and all the buildings are glowing with that late afternoon Paris light.

We went out to do a little shopping and a lot of window-shopping, enjoying some fantastic little macarons, little colourful cookies (not the coconut macaroons I was expecting) and walked around the park near the orangerie, across from the musee d'Orsay. I had a look in the shop windows at the Place Vendome, and we tried to see inside the Opera Garnier, but the salon was closed for a rehearsal. Next time... the Opera Comique was also closed.

I had a nice talk on the phone with Celine, the grand-daughter in law of Pierre and Claude Fleta, and it looks like I will be able to pay them a visit tomorrow morning to drop off a little Belgian chocolate and say hello. It's my first time to Paris since they moved up from Montpellier, so I'm glad to have the opportunity to visit them.

Tonight I'm going to go to a master class on Cosi fan tutte, given by this same coach, Janine Reiss, and we'll see what she has to say about that opera and Mozart in general.

Bon soir!

No comments: