Wednesday, 2 November 2011

Indian Summer - lots of photos


This blog is going to be a bit of a catch-up, and I'm sharing some different photos... It's been really quite lovely here the last week or so, with warmer temperatures.  We brought in a number of house plants three weeks ago when it was calling for cooler temperatures, but since then it has warmed up considerably, and that has brought out the colours in the trees in an unusually vibrant way.  Not as vivid as Canada, it's still lovely to see.  The photo above is on our way home from church, and the chapel you see in the background is in fact the Chapelle de Boondael, where Peter and I will be performing our Schubert concert this coming May.  As you can see it will be a very nice place for such a programme, surrounded as it is with lots of trees and parkland.

Maggie's parents arrived this past Saturday, in time to greet Duncan just as he was on his way to his drama class (see above)... it has been a couple of years since their last visit here and we were very glad to greet them with lots of enthusiasm.


Duncan was very proud to show off his first major purchase, an ipod touch that he bought online (with a little technical, but not financial help from me), and that we had delivered to his grandparents in Canada to bring along with them.  He's enjoying taking pictures and movies with it, and has already sent an email or two to both sets of grandparents.


I received some photos from the Duchesse concert from the weekend before last, and thought I'd share them here.  First is the entire cast, with the general director (above) and below we see the three conspirators plotting something devious.  As I said before it's a really very nice group to work with and I'm sure it will be a fun production.


On Maggie's birthday a couple weeks ago, I visited my favorite florist around noon, but was astonished to discover that they had not yet received their shipment of roses, and that I'd have to come back later.  Busy as I was with cooking her a nice birthday dinner, buying her present, and baking a cake, I didn't get back that day.  There were bouquets from the concerts I sang that weekend, so she wasn't deprived from floral decoration, but on friday last I noticed that the bouquets were getting a little tired and so decided to choose an assortment of flowers for her this weekend... she was suitably impressed and they're still going strong...


Monday was Hallowe'en, and we were pretty well prepared.  Malcolm thought he'd go as a devil this year, and it was fairly simple to get him ready for action.  Duncan's costume was a bit more work but quite worth the effort for the effect it created...



Both were very successful, but Duncan's in particular was a huge hit, especially with some spooky looking guys who happened to be passing by, and they paused for a photo op with the neighborhood star...


The yield in candy was more modest this year, despite the nice weather.  The Belgians aren't quite on the same page as we North Americans,  vis-a-vis Hallowe'en, but the two previous years they were far more generous with the candy handouts... maybe this is another effect of the crise financère?


Yesterday was one of the more relaxing days I've had in a long time.  We made a convoy with Julia, Bethany and Karalyn Gardner and drove with Hugh, Sheila and the boys to Spa, east of Liège, in the Ardennes.  We spent a luxurious three hours in the thermal baths before heading down the funiculaire to the town, and enjoyed some delicious Bobeline, the beer of Spa, as well as a nice meal in the Taverne des Thermes.  Various choices made by our large party included boulettes liègoises, vol-au-vent, soupe a l'oignon gratinée, the ubiquitous spaghetti bolognese for Duncan, and I had the civet de biche.  No, this wasn't civet cat as you might think, but a delicious stew of wild deer (biche) seasoned with red wine, mushrooms and onions, with a baked apple stuffed with airelles, and croquettes.  Yummy!  We were well-warmed by our dinner as we walked back to the cars, and I am positive that everyone slept extremely well after their rejuvenating spa visit.  We'll just have to go every day, that's all there is to it.

Today is a solitary music day for me, as Maggie, the boys and Hugh and Sheila have left for a day at Oostende, at the coast.  I've already been doing some online financial housekeeping, but think it's time to warm up and have a crack at Carmina Burana...


Happy Hallowe'en!

No comments: