Well, that's a great relief to have the opening of Gerolstein over and done with! Two shows in one day really takes it out of you. I can't even imagine what it must be like to have to do eight shows a week, like music theatre performers...
I managed to grab 15 minutes of twilight sleep on an old leather sofa just off the stairwell to the third balcony yesterday, in between shows, and I'm glad I did, otherwise it would have been scary from an energy point of view for the second representation... As it was I found the second show on the same day to be much looser, in a good way, the way jazz musicians use the term: less deliberate, more improvisational in feeling. One sequence of events that I enjoy as an artist is the progressive letting go of control that happens in the course of preparation; the paring down to a minimum the things that need to occupy your attention while performing. In those moments one truly starts to "play" the piece, and it comes alive for the audience and also for your fellow actors. How marvelous!
We have a little rest now; I don't rehearse Gerolstein again until tuesday evening, prior to out two sold-out Brussels shows on wednesday and thursday. Still I have a big day tomorrow with showing sone Canadian friends around Brussels in the morning and starting coaching the Eisenstein/Fledermaus and the Haydn Schöpfung in the evening.
Others have been busy performing too: the boys as King Herod (Malcolm) and Joseph (Duncan) in the church nativity play this morning, and Maggie as a gospel reader in this evening's carol service. Bruce was also singing up a storm in Victoria, in two performances of Messiah this weekend with Timothy Vernon.
Malcolm has also had performances of another kind this past week, with exams in science, history, geography and latin. This week all that remains for him are mathematics and french, so he's been busily reviewing his course material...
Have a good week... Only three days to winter solstice, and one week to Christmas!
Sunday, 18 December 2011
La Grande Duchesse est arrivé
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment