Friday, 31 August 2012

adieu to Aout


I received this photo today that was taken after our concert in the Ardennes last weekend... as you can see, we had already changed out of our fancy clothes and remembered to get a quick snap before leaving for the drive back to Brussels. It was really such a rewarding experience that I was prompted to created an additional page on my website that explains the special benefits of the approach that I've developed with Dina and Peter, with Bruce's encouragement.  (If you are interested in hearing EVEN more about it you can have a look at that page here; click on the link called "Die Schone Mullerin" at the top of the page.)

Maggie had her first classes with students yesterday... she's been at the school since a week ago tuesday but now the work really begins for her in earnest.  This is the second year that she will teach the social sciences curriculum, following three + years as a homeroom teacher.   I'm glad that after a very labour-intensive year developing her lesson plans and getting her head around the curriculum that she'll be able to reap some benefits of all that hard work, and maybe be a little less busy in the evenings.

I have been having a little vacation from my vacation, and from the intensive week of rehearsal and performance that followed hard on the heels of our flight back from Canada.  The boys have also had a low-key week with lots of quiet time, although Duncan has managed to get out to play with his friends Valentin, and Rajah, the son of our restauranteur neighbours, and Malcolm has gotten in some time at the park and peace and quiet on his own.  Duncan has been playing a math game called Timez Attack to review his tables, and Malcolm is trying out his new Yamaha YFL-481 sterling silver flute in an ongoing repertoire review, to get used to it and refresh his technique a little.  Both are looking forward to getting back to school, I know.  We also were happy to make it to church at St. Andrew's last week, although the junior choir is still on hiatus until this weekend, so the boys didn't have to be there ahead of time to rehearse and get their robes on.

We have special family visitors coming tomorrow; my first cousins students Patrick and Anne Costello, who are stealing a week between the end of summer and their first week of university classes to come see us in Brussels.  I am doing some research to arrange for a mix of activities that should interest them both; and excitedly thinking up a good menu plan... I am sure that there will be a good mix of art, architecture, culture and beer and chocolate degustations to keep them happy...

No comments: