Friday, 30 November 2012

First preview with audience today


It has been a busy time for all of us recently, but things are now starting to slow down a bit now that the show is about to open.  Today we had the pre-general rehearsal with audience, really an additional dress rehearsal, as every aspect musically, dramatically, technically was in motion as it would be in a real performance.  The audience reaction was very positive, and there were photographs taken, so when they become available I will share them.  The cast and crew are really superb and I am very lucky to make my debut in such a high-profile production.

For me at least, the costumes require no more changes... I quite like what Moidele Bickel has designed for me to wear... sort of an updated 1920s look, double-breasted waistcoat and jacket, and even a double-breasted overcoat and a black fedora for the finale of act III.  I need it to stay dry, as there is lots of rain on the stage, which looks fantastic but is quite cold for the singers. 


I'm not sure if this look is more Oscar Wilde, or more Sky Masterson... or maybe there's a dash of Bugsy Malone in there as well?  Either way, a lot of good work has been done by the costume atelier here, and I very much appreciate how nice they make us all look.

I've also been kept busy with preparations for a Mozart duet concert that will happen on December 17th, and have been reviewing and in some cases re-learning selections from Don Giovanni, Die Zauberflöte and of course Le Nozze di Figaro.  Fortunately almost all of it is already in my repertoire, but I have to learn the Figaro parts for a couple of duets, so that requires some time.  That can wait for now, however, as I just got word that I have a proper audition with the Intendant here next week, so my focus is on preparing for that.

In between I managed to get to both Duncan's and Malcolm's schools for interviews with their teachers; in Malcolm's case this involved five interviews spaced over four hours...  The news is uniformly pretty good, with both getting good marks in their respective courses.  Malcolm in particular has really found his footing in secondary school, and his Latin, French and Geography teachers each said that he was growing in confidence and ease socially, and was a welcome addition to their classes, to which he gives participation, energy, good questions and so on.  Duncan achieved quite high marks academically, with his teacher suggesting that he not rush through things, but read them over to make sure.  I think both understand things quickly but fail to take the time to fully digest what they have read, and so they both end up making unnecessary mistakes.

Both are also continuing with their activities at the académie; Malcolm in his third year of flute, and Duncan in drama (I believe he will be playing "Hook" in Peter Pan) and this year, in dance.  He tempers this with karate on Wednesdays, the study of magic tricks on tuesdays and ping-pong on thursdays.  They are also singing in the junior choir at church, and have been cast in the Christmas pageant, with Malcolm as Herod and Duncan as one of his bodyguards.  Thankfully they can get to all of these activities themselves by public transit... no "parent taxi service" for us, at least not yet.

Malcolm has one more orthodontist appointment coming up, and he should be free of braces as an early Christmas present.  He also is complaining of blurry vision, so a visit to the opthalmologist is already scheduled, and he might just have to trade braces for glasses.  Oh well, we'll see...

Maggie is doing well with her classes, and has interviewed for some committees at St. John's that will give her additional work responsibilities.  She also is taking a weekly french course, which is going well, but I know is hard to do after a full day at work.  She is out at a concert tonight, and we are looking ahead into December at a Christmas party or two, and planning our New Year trip to Scotland to see Rob and Viki and their kids, and then to Malvern, England, to see Piers and Gilly and their children, and for me to sing with Piers at the Epiphany services.  Lots to plan between now and then!

I need my sleep and am not waiting up for her any longer... bon soir et bon weekend a tous!

No comments: