Monday, 16 December 2013

Journeyman


Lots of travelling these days... I made it back home on Saturday, but on the way from Central Station to our house, managed to squeeze in a coaching with Peter Tomek on the Bach Christmas Oratorio at his studio near La Monnaie.  Then it was over to Adagio music, which is having a liquidation sale, so I took the opportunity to stock up on some scores for projects already on the horizon, and also get some flute music for Malcolm for next year.

Then we had a nice dinner together that evening before Maggie and Duncan had their rehearsal for the Christmas pageant.  That took place the next morning, and Duncan acquitted himself well as the evil King Herod.  Malcolm was excused because of exams, but he did come to the evening carol service to sing with the senior choir, and do a reading, Isaiah Chapter 9, beginning at verse 2:

The people who walked in darkness
Have seen a great light;
Those who dwelt in the land of the shadow of death,
Upon them a light has shined.

You have multiplied the nation
And increased its joy;
They rejoice before You
According to the joy of harvest,
As men rejoice when they divide the spoil.
For You have broken the yoke of his burden
And the staff of his shoulder,
The rod of his oppressor,
As in the day of Midian.
For every warrior’s sandal from the noisy battle,
And garments rolled in blood,
Will be used for burning and fuel of fire.
For unto us a Child is born,
Unto us a Son is given;
And the government will be upon His shoulder.
And His name will be called
Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Of the increase of His government and peace
There will be no end,
Upon the throne of David and over His kingdom,
To order it and establish it with judgment and justice
From that time forward, even forever.
The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this.

Pretty vivid imagery!  I always love it when the reading is something that I have sung, or heard sung.  Malcolm of course knew verse 2, from hearing me sing it in the Messiah many times, but he also had a listen to verse 6, as set for the choir, from the famous Elmer Iseler singers  / Andrew Davis recording.

He read well, I think; I had to go on the impressions of other worshippers, as unfortunately I didn't hear it; I roared up to Antwerp for the first rehearsal of the Christmas Oratorio.  It's going to be great to finally sing the last two parts, and I have a very nice soprano partner, Astrid Stockman, for our challenging duet, "Herr, dein Mitleid".  I have listened to quite a few versions of this duet.  Here's an unusual one, from 1981, with Christian Schnellert, boy soprano, Robert Holl, bass, and Nikolaus Harnoncourt conducting the Concentus Musicus Wien.

It is getting me very much in the Christmas feeling.  Today I go to Den Haag to rehearse with an opera repetiteur, and then will continue to Amsterdam, with our next show tomorrow evening.  I have to make two more trips down to Antwerp/Brussels over the next week for the generale rehearsal and the concert for the Bach, and then Maggie and the boys will be finished school and can come with me.  A nice Christmas present for me, and for us!


No comments: