Monday, 2 June 2014

the closing of the season

Yesterday was the performance of the Fétis Requiem with the Metropolis Choir and Orchestra, in Wilrijk in Antwerp.  A nice piece, with eight vocal soloists, but I am very happy that it is done, because it brings to a close a very, very busy 2013-2014 season for me.

Now there are a number of other things that can fully occupy my attention.  There have been a great many things that have fallen into disrepair, partly through simple wear and tear and partly because there are two rough-housing boys in this house.  They managed to knock down the antique chandelier, so that had to be re-attached to the ceiling.  As well some mysterious damage has been made to the plastic tablecloth, so that needs replacing.  The front window/door that leads to the juliette balcony was broken and couldn't be opened, so that required many telephone calls until I found Mohammed, a very nice man, who agreed to come and fix it on a sunday morning.


Mr. Fixit 

The chiming clock in the dining room wasn't broken after all, it just needed adjustment, but there are other things that have been blown up by the little hooligans, and dad has been busy.  As well there remains some things in the kitchen that need attention; the electric oven keeps blowing the mains, and so I really need an expert electrician to come in and figure out why.  At the same time I think I'll have him change the switch on the main chandelier so that it can be equipped with a dimmer.

The back terrace garden is looking fine though; my irises came back with vigour, and roses and clematis are flourishing.  We need to get at the garden allotment, as the strawberries are being choked out with weeds.  If I don't start cultivating it I might lose it; there is apparently a waiting list for people interested in gardening there.


Rosebush and clematis

There was a sporting goods store having a clearance sale last weekend, so Duncan bought a new basketball, and he and Malcolm and I have been hopping the fence on the weekend and evenings and going to play in the court around the corner.


 shooting hoops

We've also had quite a number of required attendance events.  I went to Duncan's karate demonstration very shortly after arriving back in Brussels, but that has been followed by his dance spectacle, where he danced a Shostakovich piece, and then helped the older girls by playing the menacing slow-motion hunter in a piece choreographed to the music of The Dark Knight soundtrack.
 

Duncan as hunter


 a still moment


 Shostakovich


sketch comedy

As well the theatre arts class had their end-of-year spectacle, and he played in several of those sketches.  The performances were held in a charming little art nouveau/art deco theatre, and the kids did well, although they need to speak more slowly and loudly and face into the house a little more.

Apart from the rehearsing for my last concert, we took the car in and had a removable trailer hitch put on.  I was able to rent a nice covered trailer for only 16 euros the half day, and on Friday past Maggie and I went off to Waterloo to pick up a leather sofa and an armchair for our salon.  Ascension holiday was thursday and she also had the "bridge" day of friday off, so it was nice to have some time to do something together, and have a little road trip.  The old sofabed I gave away on Craigslist, and we are much happier with more flexible furniture in our living room.  Everyone is competing for the armchair though, and kiki the cat slept on it all the first night, laying claim I suppose.

Meanwhile Maggie has been finishing up Joelle's wedding dress.  Her marriage ceremony with Zack will be held at St. Andrew's in early July, but Maggie, Joelle, and her mother Karen were all eager to see the finished product.


Maggie sewing Joelle's wedding dress

Now I am off to have lunch with Andrew, and maybe smoke a cigar to celebrate the close of my season.  Malcolm is writing his first exam today, and should be back soon.  This was latin, which should be a fairly easy one.  Tomorrow is chemistry, which he has been spending a lot of time preparing, and then he also has history/geography, french, and netherlands this week.  Math is a trouble spot but it isn't until tuesday and he has pentecost monday off, so he has three days to bone up on that.  Wish him luck!

No comments: