Yesterday I went to the Mauerpark Flea Market. It runs every Sunday and is one of the biggest in Berlin. I guess that I am a little spoiled with all of the antiques that are available all the time in Brussels, like at the Sablon every weekend, because I was a little disappointed. There were some cool things, but not much that was old. But it was nice to get out and do some exploring and poke around among the stalls. Very busy though.
Then I walked home to warm up a little, and then went to Peter's house for the rest of the coaching of Johannespassion. It is really very exciting to be playing Jesus in this. The Christus in the Matthauspassion is much more calm and collected, but in the Johannespassion he really gives Pilatus quite the debate. Lots of acting and incredible text setting. The music is wonderful.
Then I went out and met a colleague, John Dazsak, who is in town singing in Wozzeck at the Staatsoper. We met in Amsterdam last season and so decided to have dinner last night at the Munchen Hofbrauhaus near the big television tower. This place is set up like a big Oktoberfest type hall. It was good food and ok beer but humongous portions. We walked some of it off as we came back along Friedrichstrasse but I am still very satisfied today.
Today I have already risen early and had a final coaching with Peter on some opera repertoire. I will be leaving tomorrow in the mid-afternoon but really could use a day without singing before my audition on Wednesday.
Berlin has really been a nice experience. This afternoon I think I will go to a close-by used clothing store, and then maybe swim. Or there is always the "museum island" to check out. But that could be something for tomorrow morning as well, I am not sure how busy they are on a monday. The pool is open from 6:00, but the Pergamon museum - which houses egyptian and babylonian artifacts - opens at 10:00 so maybe I will do one and then the other tomorrow. We'll see.
No comments:
Post a Comment