Tuesday, 18 December 2018

Christmas concerts finished until the 27th/28th December...

Minimes Bach concert

some challenging arias

This weekend was a busy one.  I had rehearsal for the Bach BWV 57 and Christmas Oratorio Part 2 on Saturday afternoon, and as Malcolm was in town he came to that rehearsal so that he could hear it.  His old flute teacher Francoise Windall was playing in the concert, so it was a real pleasure for both of them to catch up with each other.  She is thrilled that he is doing well and very happy that he is making a creative life for himself as a luthier and musician.

In the evening after dinner we all got bundled up and walked downtown to see the Parade of the "Chasseurs des Etoiles" or the Star Hunters.  They are all made up in a kind of magical fairy-like way, which has gives a pagan kind of feel...




I guess they are evoking the spirit of Laplanders, or the Sami people who live in the north, or maybe a kind of Inuit feeling.  At the end of the parade there was a fire-breathing and acrobatic demonstration at the square in front of the church.  We were really cold and Yoshi was a little nervous around so many people, and the loud music freaked him out a bit, so we went home.

Christmas Tree at the town hall

spectacle at the church

flowers after Bach

Sunday morning started early with a trip into Brussels.  Duncan was in the nativity play, and he played the part of Doctor Who (or at least one of the parts, as there were two different "Doctors" in this pageant).  You can watch the whole thing here on Youtube!



It was a good success, and we went out to lunch together to celebrate.  Malcolm's rock band rehearsal was cancelled so he opted to stay and rehearse with the St. Andrew's Choir for the evening service.

Meanwhile I went to Saint-Jacques-sur-Coudenberg to do my last rehearsal and then performance of  Bach.  All went pretty well and I ran out of there as fast as I could to get to St. Andrew's for the Nine Lessons and Carols service.  I made a small contribution to that service, singing "Why do the nations so furiously rage together / But who may abide the day of His coming?" from Messiah.  Heather Charlton was great on the simulated harpsichord, and I felt good to sing both a Christmas Cantata of Bach and some Handel on the same day.  Malcolm sang every carol and the choir anthems, including his first time singing in the choir for the Hallelujah Chorus, which was a highlight of the service.  We all appreciated the mulled wine and mince pies afterwards though!

Yesterday was clear and bright and so I went out to Lawrence and Tiffany's with Yoshi, and we ran a good 16km through very muddy fields.  Afterwards, Yoshi was still up for lots of tennis ball throwing.  He is really impossible to tire out.


As you can see he was very muddy, and since those farm fields have lots of cow manure in them, I opted to give him a bath when we got home.  The water was incredibly dirty.  I don't think he enjoyed it very much, but I did my best to keep the water lukewarm and to be gentle with him.  He is certainly much more handsome now that he has had a bath.

Today we expect Malcolm to come home sometime this afternoon, as his classes are finished until the new year.  I am just heading out to buy something good to cook for our dinner.  I am lucky to have a full Messiah to sing in Bruges on the 28th December, but until the rehearsal on the 27th, I have some down time to rest and enjoy the holidays.

No comments: