I forgot to mention another one of our rehearsal spaces in the same neighbourhood; the evening rehearsal on Monday night was at a pub/concert hall complex called "Splendour". Jan Willem, our Evangelist, told us the story of its creation. Apparently this building complex fell into disrepair and was abandoned for decades. Several years ago a group of about 100 musicians got together and approached the city of Amsterdam, and asked if they could have the building, and renovate it for use as a concert hall complex and artistic centre. The City replied that if they could come up with 100,000 EUR, then the City would pay for the rest. The artists each ponied up 1,000 EUR, and after the renovations were completed, this collective now enjoys a building with two concert halls, a bar and clubhouse. The place is in use nearly all the time for rehearsals and concerts of all different types. The only condition for artists in the collective is that they present a free concert once a year. Quite a deal!
Here's a brief video with subtitles that explains Splendour...
The long evening rehearsal last night was held across the street from Splendour, in a large and beautiful synagogue. The interior has a high barrel-vaulted ceiling and every surface is made of wood, so of course it was very loud and boomy, but good for voices.
The choir is excellently prepared and perform this music wonderfully from memory, but all of the solo singers are very nervous. I realise that apart from Bert, who is singing Jesus for about the hundredth time, I am probably better prepared than most to sing it from memory. What is particularly difficult is that there are so many interjections with Pilate and the choir and with Jesus, and then I have my three arias as well. Jesus has only his recits; no arias. The women have arias, but no recits. The Evangelist has the most to sing, but then they have made an exception for him: he will have the score on a stand. Really it makes sense, as the amount of recitative he has is huge.
Another difficulty that we are all dealing with is the modern instruments. Of course the musicians are fantastic; most of them are from the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, one of the finest in the world. But modern instruments at A=440 means that the orchestra is inevitably loud or at least bright, and for the singers everything is a half-step higher than it would be with a Bach orchestra, playing period instruments at A=415. For me it's not such a big deal but for the high voices it's murder.
I've been enjoying some time to myself in between rehearsing. Yesterday I treated myself to some Illy coffee and a quiet hour to write down some notes, at a cafe around the corner.
at the Optisport Sloterparkbad
I did some research earlier this week, and this morning got my running clothes on for the first time since March 23rd. Since I was last staying in Amsterdam in 2013 they opened a new olympic sized pool complex to the west, a little past where my old apartment was at #42 Orteliuskade. As it was around 10 degrees and overcast, I decided to run the 7km out to the pool.
I had no major problems but despite the flat terrain am sure that I broke no personal records. Choking through the car exhaust, cigarette smoke, and dope fumes in the downtown was a challenge, as was avoiding getting run over my cyclists. I saw no other runners at all; maybe it's not a big thing in Amsterdam? Or maybe all the runners know a nicer location?
The pool is absolutely gorgeous, and I will go again, with a little more time; by the time I arrived there was only half an hour of lane swimming left. But what a half an hour it was! Eight lanes in a super clean 50m pool, with water of a nice cool temperature, not too many people, and best of all, designated speed lanes. There were no more than two or three people in each lane, and so I was able to do my lengths without running into anyone.
The pool is absolutely gorgeous, and I will go again, with a little more time; by the time I arrived there was only half an hour of lane swimming left. But what a half an hour it was! Eight lanes in a super clean 50m pool, with water of a nice cool temperature, not too many people, and best of all, designated speed lanes. There were no more than two or three people in each lane, and so I was able to do my lengths without running into anyone.
I haven't swum since May of last year, and so with my injured shoulder I was worried that it wouldn't work. But in fact, while a bit uncomfortable, front crawl was possible, and I got in a bit more than a kilometer, which makes me breathe a huge sigh of relief. Now I know that I can go to the pool in Louvain-la-Neuve and start swimming again, and that I can do the same when I am back in Toronto.
At #42 Orteliuskade
On the walk back into the town centre I stopped off at the old apartment, and asked the elderly Dutch neighbours if Michael Allan (the owner during my time in Amsterdam) still lived there. Sadly, they told me that he had died suddenly in the past year. The apartment is still occupied by someone, as there are plants in the window and various pieces of furniture visible through the window.
at De Brabantse Aap
My last stop on the way home was to have a beer at the Brabantse Aap, one of my favourite places near the city centre. They had Chimay white on tap back in 2013, but this time it was La Trappe dubble, which was very delicious. It's always nice to try these special beers usually found only in the bottle from the cask instead, as there seems to me to be a different taste.
Tonight I am heading out in a few minutes to stand in line at the national ballet; they are performing Swan Lake this evening and the tickets are already sold, but one can sometimes line up for returned or uncollected tickets. I have to think about the price point though, as it isn't a flat cheap rate. I think if a ticket is returned you pay the normal price, depending on where you sit...
1 comment:
So, this is the answer to the TV quizz show $1000 question: What do rock legend Jimi Hendrix, folk-rocker extraudinaire Bruce Cockburn and historic classical giant Bach have in common? They all tuned down a semi-tone to play in a lower key. Fascinating information Matthew. How I enjoy the chronicle of your success and the interesting details of your amazing lifestyle. Even though I have given up alcohol for health reasons, that frosty glass looks delish!
Post a Comment