Last night's concert was a big success... the basilica had a good audience, and they listened very closely to every note. The reaction at the end was also very positive. It was a bit unusual for me as they performed most of the first part (the Nativity) but cut some numbers in the second part (the Passion) and cut a lot from the third part (the Resurrection), so the whole thing came in well under two and a half hours.
I have only sung Messiah in Canada once in the last fourteen years, in Halifax four years ago, and on that occasion they performed it without cuts, as has also been the case in the seven European performances that I've done since moving there. So now I am used to hearing the whole thing, and quite missed the movements that they didn't include. I have to also make sure that I keep on my toes as sometimes the piece that I expect to hear just before my solo just aren't there, and I don't want to be surprised.
I was feeling a bit tired from the performance and so opted not to go out for a drink afterwards, as we have another performance again tonight. Then after that is out of the way, I can be a bit more celebratory and enjoy some social time with everyone afterwards.
Tomorrow morning Bruce and I are hoping to go up and visit the Quidi Vidi Brewery near that lake that I ran by on Wednesday, and then have a nice lunch out somewhere before heading to the airport at around 15:00, to fly to Montreal at 17:15. I should be back in Brussels by around 8:30 on Monday, and home by perhaps 9:00...

No comments:
Post a Comment