Our neighbours two doors over weren't so lucky in the storm; Jacqueline knocked on my door yesterday and asked if I could come and help with their privacy fence, which is made of coated steel attached above a low brick wall. The upper section had blown down in the winds, and her husband Maurice wasn't quite up to dealing with the debris: he is 87 and just had a couple of medical interventions, so is less that his normal spry self. Anyway I cleaned things up a bit and it looks like when the weather is nicer we can snap a tight wire along the existing posts, and reuse the coated wire fencing. That house on the other side of them has been empty for a while anyway, so it's not like they need to worry too much about it, as there is no one there to have privacy from.
The weather would have been perfect today to work outside, but instead I took Yoshi for another 10km in the sunny and clear 6 degree weather before driving to school. I had lesson #2 with E., and we spent a lot of time helping her sing in her head voice, and avoid getting stuck down in the deeper chest voice. She is really a very willing student and is working hard to try to experiment with this new kind of singing; she is used to the pop or broadway belting style and so we are trying to see if we can't develop her high voice a bit more. Bruce has been advising me a lot over the phone, as he has lots of experience with female voices. I have had male students before, but there are other things going on with women's voices, and I'm finding it an interesting project. E. certainly seems to find the lessons fun and interesting, and I am looking forward to hearing how her voice develops.
But before the lesson I went to a meeting of the record listening club, "In the Groove". The teacher who leads it had invited me to bring some records, and so I obliged... as it happened I ended up bringing a lot of jazz/blues/funk: I don't have many classical recordings on vinyl, and I just felt like sharing some of these pieces that the kids are unlikely to have heard.
If you're curious, here's what I played...
Back when I was starting out as a gigging musician, I was influenced a lot by Fats Waller, so I started with "I'm gonna sit right down and write myself a letter" (1935):
Louis Jordan, along with Sister Rosetta Tharpe, is considered one of the parents of Rock and Roll, so I thought I'd play one of his more fun tunes: "Boogie in the Barnyard", from 1947:
Then I was thinking a bit about the current political climate, and how the news is so depressing these days. I immediately considered Mose Allison's 1962 album "I don't worry 'bout a thing ('cause nothin's going to be all right)":
But in the end, chose one from the same album that more closely reflects the current state of political leadership in certain English-speaking countries...
Then I changed it up a little bit with probably the funkiest song ever recorded: The Meters' "Just Kissed my Baby". Whenever this comes on the stereo Maggie laughs, because I look like I just "smelled the skunk" (but in a good way). It's the only funk song I know that has a wah pedal guitar AND a slide guitar solo in it, courtesy of Lowell George, of Little Feat, who was a guest on the record.
1978's Powerage is the second-to-last AC/DC record with original singer Bon Scott, and it is the last record that was produced by Harry Vanda and George Young before "Mutt" Lange (of Shania Twain fame) took over for their breakthrough Highway to Hell. As well it is the first record with Cliff Williams on bass; this configuration of Malcolm and Angus on guitars, Cliff on bass, and Phil Rudd on drums came to be regarded as the definitive AC/DC instrumental lineup, whether with Bon or with Brian Johnson as their singer, and it lasted many years.
I was never an AC/DC fan as a teenager; it wasn't until I saw them play in Toronto for the SARSTOCK concert in 2003 that they changed my mind. Definitely a band that you have to see live to really appreciate...
I was never an AC/DC fan as a teenager; it wasn't until I saw them play in Toronto for the SARSTOCK concert in 2003 that they changed my mind. Definitely a band that you have to see live to really appreciate...
No comments:
Post a Comment