Tuesday, 17 June 2008

getting packed up

So this past few days the pace of preparations has really accelerated, as we close in on our departure date of this monday June 23rd. Lots of time spent sorting and packing, deciding on what we need to take with us to Canada and what goes into a box to be moved into the new place. I understand that this way we do save a month's rent, but it sure would have been a lot easier to do the home move and the Canada trip at two different times, rather than on the same weekend.

Maggie has emptied the boys' bedrooms and the spare room, and has cleaned and polished the floors. We had a window cleaner come in today and take care of all the windows, and we've been attacking the garden with a vengeance. I'm sure we'll get it all worked out prior to departure. We've pretty much finished all the food in the freezer and are almost done with the fridge. There will definitely be lots of dry goods to move though, pasta, canned goods, spices and that sort of thing.

Other pieces of the puzzle involve coordinating the move to the new apartment. We have beds and tables and chairs arriving by one truck around 2:00pm on Saturday, and I'm arranging for the washer and drier and other items to come via a moving company around 5:00pm, and then there's the matter of all our boxes and suitcases here that need to get moved, most probably by the good grace of our neighbors with cars. I still have to verify with the landlord that we can get in on Saturday, but I suspect that should be easy as he has been very accommodating so far.

If that wasn't enough, the Belgian fascination with administrative paper continues. Our identity cards need renewing, since they expire while we are away in Canada. First Maggie's work permit needed renewing, which the administrator at her school did, but then she forgot to give us the additional document, so that necessitated a second visit to the commune house (not counting the two other times I went and they were closed). When I went today and presented this additional document, it became clear that I would have to have another visit from the local police officer (Erik, do you remember him?) to confirm that Maggie and I are still married and living together before they will renew the identity cards. That means that I have to wait until Erik verifies this, then go to the commune AGAIN! GAAAAH! I tell you, all this running around and getting this document and that document and stamping this and validating that, multiple times, sure makes sure that lots of people are kept very busy... it must be a fiendishly clever employment strategy...

I am also preparing for a concert on July 11th, as part of the Music on the Rideau at Glenburnie series, just north of Kingston. It is shaping up to be a lot of fun, and I'll be joined for the first time in a duo recital with my mentor Bruce Kelly, and by the very talented pianist Brian Jackson. There's quite a bit of rehearsing to do on that material prior to the concert, and I hope to do some of it here before I leave.

I did get a little bit of stress relief today by exercising; today I almost doubled my previous distance record in the pool, swimming 74 laps, or almost 2.5 km. The first twenty laps or so were very frustrating due to even more sunday drivers (see last post) than usual. If they'd just get organized into fast, slow and medium lanes that would be something, but it doesn't seem to happen, and today there were so many swimmers that you couldn't safely pass either. Oh well, the frustration is probably what gave me a little extra adrenaline so that when things did open up a bit I took advantage of it and kept going.

Now it's time for some more phone calls and some more packing before Malcolm gets home.

No comments: