Friday, 8 May 2009

Day off for Malcolm...


...so we went to see Star Trek instead of hanging around inside. This is the eleventh installment of the series, or perhaps it's # zero, if you opt for the chronology thing. Malcolm pointed out a few inconsistencies with the original series, and events that happened in the later films, but for the most part it was faithful to the spirit of the original tv series, and was a good ride, surprisingly free of any major cringe-inducing moments.

I don't want to spoil anything for those who will see this film by revealing plot details, but let's just say that my stubborn preference for choosing Kirk over Picard as my wing-man in a hypothetical bar fight was vindicated. Still, I found myself thinking that a well-placed judo chop to the neck at a critical moment would have saved this new, younger Kirk from strangulation twice inside of half an hour. Oh well, maybe he learns judo later on from Sulu?

* * *

In another hour or so I'm off to my rehearsal in Antwerp, for Sunday's concert... I'm just going to do a little more warming up and then get going.

Have a good weekend!

No comments: