Wednesday, 10 June 2009

almost there...

Today was convocation #15 for me this year, which would bring my personal total up to 33. The rector of the university has me beat, however, with 40. Those numbers likely pale in comparison with some of the deans, who attend all of the ceremonies each year, and of course, for the longer-serving principals and chancellors.

The speeches have been varied and interesting, but the theme of pursuing one's dream with a sustained effort in the face of adversity and skepticism is as common this year as it was last. We had a law professor from the Mohawk nation at Brantford, the principal researcher for Microsoft (who graduated from Queen's in music back in 1973), a researcher into speech perception, the national archivist and librarian of Canada, and many others. It's been interesting, although when I compare notes with other long-term convocation attenders, they admit that during the repetitive parts the mind does wander a bit. Guessing the department that produces the graduand with the tallest heels is a favorite past-time of many, it would seem. So far I think nursing science has the title, but it's still anybody's game...

Only five to go for me, and then it's back home tor Brussels. Last night I had a great dinner with my parents and grandmother, at a chinese restaurant in Belleville, to celebrate my mother's birthday. Now I'm starting to think about the trip back to Toronto and so have already started to mentally pack; I'll get down to that in earnest tomorrow evening.

Here's a photo of Ed Broadbent, as promised.

No comments: