Monday, 17 October 2011

Kreuzstab tonight

The Messiah was pretty much sold out both nights, so I'm quite pleased to have made an impression (I hope a good one) on a significant segment of the Brussels concert-going public.  Heretofore, most of my work has been in Flanders, not in Brussels, and it so it was satisfying to sing to a hometown crowd, although it was quite an adjustment to be working in French in the rehearsals, and not in Flemish/English as has been the case for most of my other projects in Belgium over the last few years.

Tonight I had a good hour or so with the strings for next Sunday's Kreuzstab cantata, and it was wonderful to have the opportunity to work with Jan Caals, a tenor singer with whom I have performed, who also is a conductor, to find the special moments in the piece together.  I'm very excited, Bach solo cantatas don't come along very often.

Tomorrow we have one of the last soloist rehearsals for La Grande Duchesse prior to the general and concert this weekend, and I am fortunately finding that it is getting easier to shift musical gears quickly.  I had a talk with Bruce today, after he went to see his former student and good friend Chilina Kennedy sing an excellent Mary Magdalene in Jesus Christ Superstar at Stratford, and we discussed the typical Stratford actor's challenges in changing their tone and style, sometimes within the same calendar day, often in two totally different productions.  I think Graham Abbey - another Bruce protege - once had three Stratford openings the same week, and he managed it, but it was tough.  After seeing what these fine actors cope with so masterfully, I don't actually feel so bad, now, with my shifting between Messiah, Bach, and Offenbach, all within a short time.  That's a reality of the job, and it could be a lot worse.  You've really got to know what it is you are going to say about a piece, and how you're going to express it, when you know you will have to change styles rapidly, and you are forced to really decide what is important and what isn't.

A little good news, it looks like I'll be doing the Britten "Journey of the Magi" piece in concert with some colleagues here in Brussels in December, and I also have been proposed for an Eisenstein in Fledermaus this season, later on.. this last isn't inked yet, so it would be unwise to share details, but it would be the latest of many recent role debuts for me, and one I would very much enjoy doing...

But I must leave it at that and get to bed, to rest up for tomorrow.  Bon soir!

No comments: