Our last performance of Fledermaus was a success, and now I'm busy forgetting one set of german text to sing another.
The cast had a nice drink after the show, but the snow put an end to our revels, and we made it a relatively early night.
I was particularly tired after the last performance, as I had made the trip down to Kingston the preceeding day to attend the concert given by Bruce and Dina at Chalmers, as part of the Queen's Faculty Recital series. They presented Mahler's Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen and then did a dramatic reading of Ludwig Tieck's fairytale, Die Schöne Magelone, with the interspersion of fifteen Romanzen written by Brahms.
Absolutely brilliant! The large audience quite literally leapt to their feet afterwards, and gave an unusually sustained ovation. Congratulations to both artists for their very moving performance.
Yesterday I came down to Kingston to rehearse my own lieder concert with Dina, the Müllerin thursday evening at St. Mark's. Even though it's been "on the shelf" since last spring, Dina and I have found it immediately familiar yet full with many fresh ideas. Kim Duca has been a wonderful help in setting that up, and we are very much looking forward to it.
Yesterday evening we attended a reception for the mélodie specialist Roy Howat, originally of Glasgow, and now a keyboard research fellow of the Royal Academy in London... He was entertaining and we shared much conversation about Debussy, Fauré and Chabrier, and I'm hoping to attend his masterclass tomorrow. Rather ironically, for someone who moved to francophone Brussels to get exposure to more French opera, most of my singing there has been in German! Perhaps that nesns that I must visit London sometime to work on Debussy?
No comments:
Post a Comment