Monday, 12 March 2012

a pause between performances


The Schubert concert in Kingston last weekend was quite a nice artistic success, and it was great to see so many people attend from the Kingston area, including a number of musical friends and colleagues.

Dina and I were both amazed to find that after almost a year on the shelf the work was almost completely at our disposal, even without a full rehearsal... that is fortunate because I needed the vocal rest after a strenuous rehearsal and performance period in February.  There were many things in Müllerin that were much easier for me to sing this year; perhaps because I had just completed such a vocally and dramatically challenging role as Eisenstein so recently...  Certainly we are confident that we will be in good shape for Waterloo this coming weekend, and are eager to discover new things in the text and music each time we perform this beautiful work.

As well I'm taking the time to review the Creation, and will be singing through the duet bits with Laura Albino, the soprano soloist this week here in Toronto.  Then there are a number of new pieces to learn for the "No Tenors Allowed" concert, including some Sondheim selections from Sweeny Todd and Merrily We Roll Along that I'm trying out for the first time, and a great duet "Suoni la Tromba" from Bellini's I Puritani.  Certainly we are running the gamut of styles and periods on this trip!  That's one of the reasons I feel so lucky to be working in the classical repertoire; there are such a wide variety of styles, colours, textures, emotions, texts, ideas and so on to express... it's impossible to ever feel hemmed-in by genre or stylistic convention in such a limitless artistic medium.

No comments: