Thursday, 21 June 2012

Radio Canada interview

Talk about a whirlwind.  We've all been spending every moment on preparing this opera, and it's starting to come together.  We've already staged all of Act 1 but one scene, and are heading into Act 2 tomorrow.

The barn at Westben has a good acoustic and excellent ambience, but my goodness, it has been hot!  Yesterday we were sweltering inside it all day, and had a three hour dance call last night in 30+ degree weather.  We all have to take care to stay hydrated.


This morning Bruce and I came into Toronto to record a promotional interview with Radio Canada, to be broadcast a few days before the preview on the 19th.  I've been interviewed several times before in English, but it was my first interview in french, and while Bruce handled a lot of the questions, I did manage to get through my parts without too much difficulty.  We head back to Campbellford for tomorrow morning's rehearsal.

Then I have some more recording time, as I'm have to record a clip of a cowboy song that John Burge has written, that will be played "radio" during part of the opera.  I may also have to lay down some dobro tracks as well... it shouldn't be too hard to get into the character of a cowboy singer...

Maggie and the boys are busy with many preparations in advance of leaving.  She must submit her report card marks in a day or two, and tomorrow we will get Malcolm's exam results.  He's been enjoying slacking off in the afternoons, as with exams he doesn't have regular classes.  Duncan hasn't had examinations this year; they are held on alternate years in primaire, so I would imagine they've had lots of fun activities to close off the school year.

With the lack of reliable wifi in the country setting, and the busy schedule I haven't been able to keep in touch with the family back home, but it's still been ok.  I do know that they are jealous of our nice weather; today it was in the teens in Brussels and overcast.  If this heat keeps up into July, they'll soon have their fill of it, you can bet!

No comments: