Sunday, 1 July 2012

Hat trick

Two down and one to go... While the official opening was yesterday, the preview was on friday, so as far as the cast is concerned we have already performed the Auction twice for an audience.

My parents attended on friday, and enjoyed the show; my father told me a story afterwards about the week he spent as a teenager helping his grandfather inventory and prepare the family farm for auction, back in the 1960s. It shows that the show has a surprising resonance, and it would seem that audiences respond strongly to it...

There were a number of luminaries and sponsors there for the official opening yesterday, and I was happy to meet composer Charles Wilson, and to renew acquaintance with composer Victor Davies. Eugene Benson reminded me that his is the third Of his librettos that I've performed: the first was Wilson's Summoning of Everyman for Toronto's Opera in Concert, and the second was the premiere of Davies' The Importance of Being Earnest for Stratford Summer Music. Cool, it's a hat trick!

Today Maggie and the boys attend the show; it is always important to reveal to them what dad/husband has been spending his time and energy preparing! Yesterday was cripplyingly hot, and I hope that we get cooler weather today for their visit. Then I expect that everyone will be enjoying the celebratory firework displays tonight...

Happy Canada Day!

No comments: