Sunday, 28 October 2012

Traviata rehearsals

Things continue to move ahead for Traviata. We have all had time to do music rehearsals with Laszlo, the assistant conductor, and I was able to work a bit on my own with répétiteur Jean-Luc and Marco the Italian diction coach, so the chorus bits I must sing are coming along well.

Hugh and Sheila had a great time in the Moselle valley; they found it very beautiful, and highly recommend it as a
travel destination. Apparently it has been a popular spot for some time, as my friend Gill in Kingston wrote me to mention that she and her husband toured the region in 1957; at that time, she explained, it must have looked very different, as the post-war rebuilding was not yet complete. Despite our historical researches I think it's impossible for us living and travelling in Europe today to realize how shattered it was by the second World War, and how much work has gone into its reconstruction.

Maggie and the boys are off school now for the week and planning some trips to France: Bayeux, Normandie, Mont St. Michel and so forth. I am staying home, because of the Traviata rehearsals. So far we have not been called every day but it's never predictable; one has to see how far we progress each day before knowing for sure how the schedule will be for the next.

Canadian soprano Barbara Hannigan is here in Brussels for performances of Berg's "Lulu"; I will see the closing night on Tuesday. She's been getting some incredible rave reviews. I sang in the choir and had a tiny little solo phrase in an opera she did years ago for Toronto's Opera in Concert, and we have corresponded a little bit since I moved to Belgium. She also moved her family to Holland a few years ago and knows the challenges involved, and had encouraging words for me; it will be nice to finally meet her again in person.

Some other good news; those Brahms Requiems in May for Bart are confirmed, and also I have been asked to do another St. Matthew Passion for him, in the week before my other two performances of the same. Fantastic! I remember he was the first person I auditioned for, and I was impressed then with his choir and their quality, so that's a lucky surprise. March is going to busy with two shows of Puccini Messa di Gloria, three Matthew Passions and who knows how many Nozze di Figaros...

Happy Sunday!

No comments: