Saturday, 24 November 2018

Thanksgiving... and then Arbour Day?!


Today was a pretty quiet drizzly day in Wavre, but as Duncan was in Brussels with his karate class, Maggie and I went out for a walk with the dog.  She was dropping into her favourite salon to get her hair cut when we noticed that people were walking past us with young trees ready for planting, and we remembered that today was the tree-planting day here in Wavre.

Yoshi and I lined up and were lucky to get two hazelnut trees, two plum trees, and two black currant bushes.  Maggie stopped in a bit later after her hairdressing appointment and nabbed two more black currant bushes, so we should be well set up for the springtime when it comes to fruit/nut trees and berry bushes.  Tomorrow promises to be no warmer but a little bit drier than today, so I hope that in the afternoon we can get out to the garden and do some digging, after we get home from church.  It's a bit of a hike to get into Brussels on Sundays, so we don't go every week, but the rehearsals for the Nativity Play have started, and it's on a Doctor Who theme... so there will be several incarnations of "The Doctor" on stage during the course of the play, and Duncan will be playing one of them...

The chickens seem to have stopped producing eggs; I am sure that this is because the temperature has been dropping down to freezing at night, so I think I will make some polyurethane insulation inserts to try to fortify their coop a little bit, and make it a bit warmer to encourage them to resume egg laying.  I have some left-over sheets of insulation that were used on the pallets underneath the gyproc/polyurethane panels that we installed in the attic, and I suspect that these will be perfect for the job.

No comments: