Saturday, 25 April 2009

Saturday morning on our first weekend back in Brussels


...and Duncan was up at 6am, burrowing in next to me trying to warm up his cold feet. I let Maggie and Malcolm sleep in (it's now almost 8am) and brought him downstairs to have some cereal and let him curl up on the couch with a book. He's such a morning person, it's crazy... so far he's "read" a couple of books, done some colouring, done some exercises and is now playing the pipe organ on our digital piano (with headphones, at my insistence).

This afternoon I have a coaching with Peter Tomek at his home near Place de Brouckere, and I've suggested that Maggie take the boys to see Monsters vs. Aliens in digital 3-D around the same time. We're usually pretty lucky to get new films in the original version, with subtitles in french and flemish, for a few months after their initial release. Belgium also seems to enjoy film releases a day or two earlier than Britain or North America: for example the recent Watchmen film, as well as the upcoming Star Trek both arrive here before they premiere elsewhere. Tonight will be quiet, and then tomorrow we will host Bryan and Kiana for a late afternoon dinner. We've barbequed three nights this week, but if the weather is good we'll continue doing so. Despite this morning's cloudless azure sky, the forecast for today and tomorrow is for rain, so we may have to cook something inside instead.

On Monday I head off by train to Marseille for one night, sing my audition there on Tuesday and then skedaddle back to Brussels on the 13h39 train shortly thereafter. I think the train journey will be great; Marseille St. Charles station is just steps from my hotel and less than fifteen minutes' walk from the Opera House/the Old Port. One advantage to train travel is that the luggage requirements are less stringent, so I might actually be able to bring back a couple of bottles of Lillet, a delicious drink from Bordeaux that is inexplicably hard to find here in Brussels. I can find Cinzano, Dubbonet, Pernod and Ricard but not Lillet, so I think I'll stock up. Interestingly I've heard from my parents that the LCBO has stopped carrying it, so I might grab a bottle for my parents and Bruce as well.

I have just heard back from Lyon, and have some choices for audition times there; it looks as if it will have to be May 14th which is Malcolm's birthday. It does fall on a Thursday, so at the very least I will be back for his celebration the following weekend, and perhaps with an interesting present... who knows? Speaking of birthdays, Duncan's is coming up, and we've organized a party for him at Brussels Bowling, complete with birthday cake. Next weekend is a long weekend (May 1st falls on Friday) but we figure we'll still get a good turn-out. Talk about a long birthday celebration: the boys were fĂȘted in Canada by both sets of grandparents during Easter vacation; they'll get another cake and presents on their actual birthdays including celebrations at school, and that will be followed by a party the Saturday following their birthdays. Lucky ducks.

Ok, it's 8:30 now. Duncan has foregone the pipe organ for watching George Shrinks on tv, and I think it's time to head upstairs with a ritual offering of cappuccino for "the wife". Probably I'll make soft-boiled eggs, toast and that green apple-bacon dish that she likes, and we'll see if we can't raise the young Lazarus (that would be Malcolm) from the grave.

Bon weekend!

No comments: