Tuesday, 1 December 2009

first rehearsal of the Christmas Oratorio

It's 11pm and I just finished the first rehearsal with the Pax Cristi Chorale and Stephanie Martin, the orchestra and other soloists. Everything seems to be in very good order; the instrumentalists are top-notch, the choir is extremely well-rehearsed, and sing beautifully, the other soloists are well prepared with lovely voices, and Stephanie is very easy to work with. Grace Church on the Hill has a great acoustic: I remember recording the Castor and Pollux with the Aradia Ensemble there a few years ago. It's going to be quite the concert, with a nice variety of music. Along with the Bach I get to do the Cornelius "Three Kings"; then there's a beautiful piece for Dan, our male alto, and then Stephanie's orchestration of a Healey Willan Christmas Anthem from 1906 with two little recit solos for Leonard (our tenor soloist) and me that totally blows me away: when the choir, orchestra and organ come in fortissimo I have a feeling that the whole church is going to lift off the ground! For those interested in attending the Saturday evening or Sunday afternoon performances, practical information can be had on their web site.

Today has been a day "crowded with incident"; this morning I got up (relatively) early, drove Bruce to the train, then came back and warmed up, rehearsed a bit with Don, had an audition with a choral director, split some logs into firewood, then headed downtown to have a lunch meeting with Andrew Ager to plan our February recital in Toronto and discuss our European organ-voice concerts for 2010-2011. Then I came back here, talked with Maggie and the boys on the telephone for two hours, then headed off to the evening rehearsal, which took almost six hours with the driving time. Needless to say I'm a little wiped out!

Tomorrow is a little lighter, but the week is very busy with rehearsing, auditioning, and so on. Such is the "glamourous" life of an opera singer: these trips aren't a vacation, unfortunately.

A bientot!

No comments: