Sunday, 29 September 2013

Last evening in Antwerp

Well this week has certainly flown by... We are coming up to our last rehearsals in Antwerp tomorrow afternoon, and by the evening I should be back home with the family and looking forward to a day off on Tuesday, prior to the orchestra rehearsals this coming week.

These will be held on a more civilized schedule of afternoon/evening, in Dworp, near Brussels, so I will be the one working close to home for a change.

The last couple of evenings have involved large enough breaks that we've had a chance to get little tours around the central part of the city from our local cast members, and actually dine out a little; before now it's been so many hours in the rehearsal hall each day that one has no chance to eat anything after 10pm but instead one has to go to bed and try to rest for the next day's 10am start.

This apartment has been great for me: inexpensive, clean, completely quiet, and in a safe area. I haven't missed the internet, television or radio that much, as I haven't really had any time to miss it, and now I am comfortable with the layout of the place, and of the city itself. I am now looking forward to the next time I am here in Antwerp for an extended period... Now that I know the city a little more I like it very much!

It's just starting to hit home to me that I am debuting two roles in this production of Don Giovanni... It was one of the first operas that I saw, definitely the first one I saw at the Metropolitan in New York, and Bruce gave me a copy of the score as a present very early on in our association. Up until now I've been so busy thinking about the logistics of the words, music, motivation, character, stage business etc. that I haven't had time to get excited about it, but as the last pieces are put in place the energy is starting to build.

In other news I've added some performances of Brahms Requiem in Lier, near Antwerp, with Geert Hendrix, the new director of the Antwerp Conservatory, and a conductor I have only worked with once, on a 'scratch' singalong Messiah a couple of years ago. These will take place in February, so that means that I'm occupied with musical projects straight through from September to May, with only January free at this point, which will be necessary for preparing for Canada...

No comments: