Friday, 4 October 2013
generale tonight
What a crazy period it has been! I can't quite believe that we have our pre-generale this afternoon, and then the generale tonight. There will be only a short transfer rehearsal in Antwerp on Sunday afternoon to get used to the salle and then we debut that evening.
There are a great many small things still to be adjusted and worked out. As Bill Silva told me many years ago, when you know you will need to handle a prop onstage, it pays to start early. If you must wear a sword, then borrow one and wear it around the house while you wash dishes, read a book or fold the laundry; this way you won't think about it but use the object unconsciously, as with old familiarity.
But that's not what's happening here; with such a short rehearsal period it's really impossible, and many of the smaller details will only be set tonight, perhaps only by tomorrow. I'm glad I have a few operas with short rehearsal periods already under my belt, otherwise I'm sure I'd be paralysed with fear. A lot has changed in a few years!
The cast is really quite excellent, and boast some well-established singers with great reputations. Above you see Werner Van Mechelen, probably the most sought-after Belgian baritone at present, singing the balcony aria with mandolin accompaniment... It's just an example of the various textures that abound in this work. Don Giovanni is full of so many different styles, and different voices... the three soprano parts of Donna Anna, Donna Elvira and Zerlina are a great illustration of how three different women can all have a voice that is called "soprano" yet be completely different in colour and texture, and the personality of each character is shown so clearly in the way Mozart has orchestrated their recitatives and arias. What an incredible genius. Two geniuses, actually, because with DaPonte's libretto the opera would be diminished, I am sure.
In other news I both signed the lease agreement for Amsterdam, and purchased my Thalys train ticket, so that is something else confirmed. After the two shows in Antwerp (6th) and Brussels (9th) there is a small lull before I leave on the 20th, and then the last three shows will take place during my Amsterdam soujourn. Two of the singers, Lisette Bolle (Donna Anna) and Peter Gijsbertsen (Don Ottavio) live in Amsterdam or vicinity, and both have talked to me about agents and Bach choirs to audition for, which is very kind.
The family seems to be dealing with my absence - both mental and physical - without too much trouble, which is encouraging for the longer departure that is coming. There is no way that I could focus on the job at hand while worrying about them, so I am happy that the boys are becoming increasingly independent. Duncan is off for a chorus retreat with Penni Clarke and the St. Andrew's Junior choir this weekend, and Malcolm enjoys singing with the adult choir; he likes the fact that he heads off on his own on a weeknight, and finds the four-part harmony pieces much more enjoyable and challenging than the junior choir music, which I'm happy for. As well his flute practice continues, with more challenging pieces, it's good to see. Duncan also is seeing increasing rehearsals for his Evita project which will happen - unfortunately - while I am away, but we'll see if I can't squeeze in a surprise visit, rehearsal schedule permitting...
This just in: I just saw this clip posted online, from the flemish television. It actually shows quite a bit of yours truly, which is quite flattering! I apologize for the lack of subtitles in French or English, but it gives you a feeling for what rehearsing 12 hours a day in Flemish feels like... Our segment starts at about the 6:26 mark.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment