Wednesday, 9 October 2013

Brussels tonight


The Brussels performance is tonight, and everyone is excited to kick it up a notch, after two very appreciated days off.  The salle of the BOZAR is larger than deSingel but acoustically excellent, if I remember correctly from Carmina Burana, so we should have no problems.
 

I don't have access to all the pictures yet. except for the few that have been used in the reviews and publicity.  You see Werner Van Mechelen (Belgium) above far left as Don Giovanni, with Norman Patzke (Germany) as Leporello his servant; Peter Gijsbertsen (Netherlands) is on the far right, as Don Ottavio, and yours truly (Canada) stands behind him as Masetto; Peter and I collectively impersonate the Commendatore to frighten Giovanni and help bring about his comeuppance.  Below we have the "execution" scene (what in the original production was the Don's abduction to Hell by demons, but in this case it is the women he has toyed with who enact their revenge), with Liesbeth Devos (Belgium) centre as Zerlina, Britt Truyts (Belgium) left as Donna Elvira, and Lisette Bolle (Netherlands) as Donna Anna.


I am unfortunately still sick with a terrible cold, but to set my mind at rest, had an examination withmy physician yesterday; there is no infection in my lungs, but congestion being breathed down from the sinus and nose while I sleep.  I have a good complement of medicines so should be able to sing without any trouble tonight, touch wood.  Maggie and the kids are coming as well; it's always nice for them to see what Dad has been up to.

I can't read the reviews as they are in Flemish, and some are not accessible without a subscription, but that's not a bad thing; it's better to save them until after the show is over.  In any case, the important thing is that the conductor and staging director are happy with what we have delivered, and they are, so no worries!

No comments: