Friday, 3 June 2011

Cousin

I remember visiting my aunt and uncle almost 12 years ago, and putting the little wiggler that was Malcolm in the hands of my younger cousin Adam... he was a little surprised at the whole experience at the time, but soon warmed up to it, as did Adam's brother Dan.

Now I just had the same experience, as Adam passed his little son over to me for a little while, while I was visiting my aunt and uncle for dinner. Thanks, Adam! Thanks, Gus and Barb! Thanks, baby!

Now it's prep for friday's audition, mixed in with last minute house repairs. I was over at our house today to climb up onto the roof and have a look 'round. A tree branch from a huge century-old city tree had fallen onto the porch roof a month or so ago, and I wanted to inspect the damage a little more closely...

Fortunately I took my time, because as I was inside the house taking care of some other issues, there was a loud crash, and I rushed out to discover that another large branch had fallen onto the roof. Had I been partway up the ladder, or on the roof at time, it could have been bad for me... Now I have the added job of arranging for the branch to be removed and any damage to be repaired.

I rehearsed some old baroque repertoire today; it's great to realize that the pieces you committed to memory years ago are still there, and that you sing them much better for the time away. I feel quite good about the upcoming audition, perhaps because I had a good time singing he last one on monday... I've long since stopped worrying about what auditions might mean and begun to enjoy them as little performances, each one a little step towards a more refined presentation. There is no question that one gets better at auditions with practice, and I anticipate in time being as comfortable with the audition process as I am on the stage itself, or perhaps as I feel in the studio. One is really beat seen as as the rehearsal for the next one...

Enjoy the beautiful weather! I'll be spending much of it indoors, unfortunately, either swimming, doing taxes, rehearsing for the Schubert recital, or working on the Creation for next year. Then there's our No Tenors duet concert that Bruce and I have just confirmed for March 31st as well, in Ottawa. There's some music there to review, while we have the chance, before I hop on the plane back home early next week...

No comments: