Good afternoon! We are celebrating the fact that the kids both received excellent exam results. Malcolm received the second highest language arts mark in the class, which is quite an achievement for a born anglophone, and he did extremely well in all subjects. Duncan even surpassed his older brother, especially in mathematics. I went to meet the teachers this afternoon, to receive the bulletins, and both were very happy with the progress that the boys have made.Tonight there is an art exhibit that showcases work from the first, second and third grades. Each explored the work of different artists as part of their studies this spring. Duncan's class did their own pieces in the style of Magritte and Picasso, and other classes did Keith Haring, Andy Warhol, Mondrian and other artists. Unfortunately Duncan was feeling indisposed today, so he wasn't able to attend his art showing, and the fun fair that is taking place this evening, and he's staying home with me while Maggie and Malcolm are off to have a drink with the teachers and have a look at the art exhibit that the kids put together.
It's been really hot here the last couple of days, with temperatures in the mid 30s, in great contrast to the cold and wet weather I've been labouring under since I got back from Canada a couple of weeks ago. We've been finding it a challenge to keep cool; although our response to temperature is very different: Maggie loves hot weather but I'm happier when it's around 20 degrees, and she hates wintertime cold, while I find it enjoyable.
Speaking of hot, I wanted to share a little something with you. Maybe I'm doing a great injustice to my fellow Canadians here, but every once in a while, I come across something that really makes clear that I'm living in a country that kicked the Puritans out several centuries ago. A country that isn't afraid to celebrate pleasure, even in the most unlikely of contexts. A country that clearly embraces both the Germanic and the Latin influences in European culture. A country that hasn't had a federal government in a year, and seems to be none the worse for it. In short, a country that embraces within its very essence the idea of surrealism.
I've written about this before, but here's an example of what I'm talking about. I hope you enjoy it...
http://www.freshkiss.be/fr/fresh-kiss/wallpaper/
No comments:
Post a Comment