Saturday, 4 June 2011

Ma cousine

Another cousin story. I'm hiding out in my cousin Christine's home today in Amherstview, in the house where I spend so much time together with my sisters and my cousins and my aunts while growing up. My grandparents lived in this house since before I was born, and while my father and aunt Judy left home fairly soon after the family moved here, certainly my Aunts Gail and Lorraine and my uncle Jeff all grew up here. When my grandmother moved into an apartment, Christine decided to purchase the house and contents from her, and it is really lovely to see the house so well-maintained. Christine has made some small changes that reflect her personality, but for her this house was a second home all of her life, and much of it is still arranged in a manner quite similar to how it was when my grandparents were living here, so she feels quite comfortable, and so do I, as a visitor.

Speaking of my grandmother, we spent yesterday evening together, sharing dinner and a conversation for several hours... I was quite tired last night; the day had begun with a vocal warm-up and an audition in Toronto in the morning, continued with a long drive through friday traffic to Kingston, followed by a rehearsal and then a long visit. I needed my sleep last night!

Fortunately it is very quiet today, since Christine is at work, and I am resting up in preparation for the final Schubert recital of this trip to Canada, to take place tonight at the Jaffer residence near Kingston. The Jaffer's is a beautiful home on the waterside of Bath Road, and they regularly open it up for concerts of chamber music. Dina and I were there yesterday to sing though a few things and get used to the space, and we are very much looking forward to re-creating a Schubertiade, a la Moritz von Schwind's 1868 illustration.

A happy June to all!

No comments: