Saturday, 16 July 2011

Lovrečina

It's 11h30 and Malcolm and I are chilling at the plank-floored beach bar while Maggie lies on the sand and Duncan makes friends with the kids camped out next to him on the sand. Maggie and the boys had a 5-krona ice cream cone, and I am enjoying a cold Ožujsko pivo draft and writing in my journal. I have some postcards to fill in also; I have written four already but have yet to post any. Perhaps later today I will walk into Postira, buy some stamps and mail the completed cards.

This morning we walked the 45 minutes along the water's edge to get here, and it was worth the trip. The water here is very cold, despite it being very shallow, and although the beach here is one of the few sandy ones in this part of the island, it isn't excessively busy. There are apparently the remains of an early christian basilica as well as the stones of a roman farmstead. Pretty cool!

Later....

It's now around 8pm and we are all finishing up our makeshift picnic dinner on the terrace back in Molo Lozna. The sunset will most likely be gorgeous tonight; there have been a few forest fires on the southeastern end of the island, and these have put a substantial pall of smoke into the air.

We had a fantastic lunch just up from the beach. Malcolm had the fried calimari, Duncan the minced steak, Maggie the 'meat fingers' (is that like hot dog fingers?) and I the octopus salad. We also had a big plate of mixed salad and one of frites. Duncan was intrigued by a soft drink called "Pipi", which the waiter said was a superior croatian version of Fanta. Turns out it tasted to Duncan like Orangina mixed with Sprite. What a relief.

All in all we spent pretty much the whole day at Lovrečina, and it was great. We stopped halfway back and snorkelled in one of the little bays along the coast, seeing lots of little fish and different plant life than in our bay of Molo Lozna. We even spotted a small squid, maybe 20 cm long, who was really cool. He changed his colour to dark green to hide in the weeds, then yellow for some different plants, then variegated grey to hide among the rocks. I don't have an underwater camera, unfortunately, so my description will have to do, but it took a while to convince Malcolm that there was something there; I only spotted it because of the tentacles which were at an unusual position...

Duncan is already downstairs playing with the neighbors, and Malcolm is up here finishing his dinner... "brace face" is - unbelievably - even slower at finishing his dinner than before he was equipped with his current orthodontic setup. He is truly a natural-born slow foodie...

No comments: